Saturday 21 November 2015

The role of Peer & Tutor feedback


I have been writing since young. I think my writing skills have improved since my poly days. I did a lot of reports back in my poly days. Once the report is submitted, I will usually receive a grade. But my lecturer does not  really feedback on my report.  At the end of that module, I will not know what I missed out in my report. For example;
what I did well? Any areas I can work on? Whether my content was good or lacking? With no proper feedback, I will not know which areas I am lacking in and where I can improve. 

With this module, Effective Communication, getting feedback is something done for every assignment and tasks.
Honestly, for myself, when I got my first feedback, I believed it was for the summary of Cho's article. I thought I did well. But when I received the feedback , it turns out I was lacking. I missed out the main point of the article. Its good that they were specific so I know where exactly I went wrong. However, It was quite upsetting and I felt that the comments were quite harsh. For most of my feedback, I had to look at them with an open mind. I had to have this mindset that they want me to get my A. 

When a classmate gives a valuable feedback, it feels like they are cheer leading from the sidelines. I now truly appreciate every feedback I got where they were honest and did not sugarcoat any parts of my work. With this kind of feedback, that classmate is taking a risk, knowing its something I do not really want to hear and that I might be upset. However, If I were to take in the feedback, I can definitely improve. 

Most of my module requires at least 1 report this trimester. I found myself referring to the links Brad shared and notes for most of the report. For most of the report, the prof wanted them in APA style. I kept referring to the links given by Brad. Most of the time, its the references and the report format and style links.  I was able to transfer most of the skills taught by Brad to my other module assignment. There will definitely be more reports coming my way throughout my university studies and future career. As an Engineering student, writing report is something common so the writing skills will not be forgotten. I cannot deny the importance of these sets of writing skills. 

Thank you Brad for teaching us this set of skills and also making the lesson enjoyable.






4 comments:

  1. Hi D,

    Nice reflection.

    I also had the same feeling back then when I thought I did a good job for my assignments but I was naive to think so. I think we both can see that there is much to be done. Let's help each other out in the future!

    I hope that you have learnt much and that you will be able to put it to good use in the future.

    Peace!
    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi D,

    Nice reflection.

    I also had the same feeling back then when I thought I did a good job for my assignments but I was naive to think so. I think we both can see that there is much to be done. Let's help each other out in the future!

    I hope that you have learnt much and that you will be able to put it to good use in the future.

    Peace!
    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diyanah,

    Whenever you are feeling upset, remember to take a breather. I am glad that you managed to keep an open mind about the feedback you have received, and that is the spirit! Have more trust in yourself and I am sure that you will do just fine. :)

    - yanyan

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very detailed reflection, Diyanah, one that is specific to the task. Thank you for sharing your honest feelings on the feedback process and your experience. You clearly illustrate how it can be quite shocking when one gets feedback that is direct. As you state, to deal with this commentary requires an open mind.

    In this post what I also like is when you explain how you have been able to transfer some of your learning from Eff Comm to other modules. It will be interesting for you to see how well that learning has served you in the other modules' project papers.

    Good luck with those and with your future learning journey!

    ReplyDelete